Moving House Checklist and Tips
We are in the middle of our
5th 6th house move in 7 8 years so are well practiced! It occurred to me while ticking off things that I needed to do that I should document the process both for my own benefit (we may move again!) and for the benefit of others. I’d like to present a list of things like Addresses you might need to change, how and who to contact to change them, etc..
You will probably need to contact the following a week or 2 before your move in order to change your address details on file. I’ve included the organization/bill name, how to contact them and other relevant details beside each listed item. (This list is based on my own utility setup and might not include all companies.)
- Bank of Ireland Bank Accounts/Visa/Loans – You’ll need to visit your home branch or put details in a letter (Company headed paper for Business accounts).
- Permanent TSB – Over the phone.
- House/Car Insurance – Phone as close to moving day as possible. You may be able to change your details online too.
- Car Tax/NCT – Send in your amended License certificate (VLC). Changes will automatically go to the NCT office within a week or 2.
- ESB/Airtricity – Ring in meter reading and close old account the day you move out of old house. Ring in readings and open new account in new house soon as you move in. You may need MPRN numbers for this.
- Eircom/Broadband – Ring in to move your account. Takes about a week to switch on a line in the new house and activate broadband. You will loose your phone number if you’re switching exchanges.
- O2/3/Vodafone/Mobile – Should be able to change online or ring.
- Tesco Clubcard – Phone or email.
- Sky - Phone in details. You might have to install equipment at the new address and update your landline with them.
- Health Board/Hospital/Doctor – Phone in new details.
- Oil/Gas – Phone in details. You may also have to give meter readings in old and new addresses and open/close accounts.
- Vets/Dog licenses – Phone vets with new details to receive immunization notices. An Post issue dog licence reminders so contact them or the local council.
- Pet Microchip Details – update yours and your pets details on www.Fido.ie
- Revenue/Tax – Phone or post in details to your local tax office.
- TV License – Email or phone your local head post office.
- Electoral Register – You should be able to check details online and email or ring in address changes.
- Life Insurance – Phone the insurance company or your bank if with them as part of a mortgage.
- Business – Update your address with all clients who have outstanding bills.
- Website – If you’re in business and have a website don’t forget to update your contact details anywhere they appear online (Google yourself!).
- eBay/Paypal – If you use either of these services, it’s very important you change your address quickly to receive goods and payments.
- Dump stuff you don’t need before moving (we will definitely do this next time!).
- Write out a list of things to do well in advance of moving.
- Change to paperless billing to make address changes less required.
- Start picking up cardboard boxes from local shops well in advance.
- Book your van and help if required a few weeks before. Having a van is invaluable and not too expensive.
- Move essential stuff like beds, food, etc.. last.
- Clean the old house if rented as best you can to improve the chances of getting your deposit back!
Hope this all helps.
This Article has had 4,957 views so far.
Posted in General on March 4th, 2010
Tags: changing address, moving house, moving house checklist, moving tips, update address
Follow responses to this article through the RSS 2.0 feed.
leave a Comment, or Trackback from your own site.
About Reverb Studios Design
Reverb Studios is an affordable Web & Digital Design studio based in Leitrim, Ireland and specialising in Wordpress Website Design, Graphic Design and Photo Editing.
3 adobe air bebo blogging broadband broadband leitrim curiosity rover ebay facebook free stuff goodseed pr google google analytics graphic design gravity forms iphone ivf leitrim blog leitrim broadband leitrim county council linkedin mobile broadband myspace national broadband scheme online backup online marketing photo composition photo editing photo restoration photoshop recession search engine optimization seo social media social media marketing social networking technology blog Twitter web design web design blog wordpress wordpress plugins wordpress security wordpress themes youtube